Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Spare time?

I'm sure you're not still seeing snow on the ground like we are here in Aberdeen, SD.  But if you are, I would just like to extend a friendly gesture and give you a few words of advice to keep you from going insane while you wait for the snow to melt.
For me, as a golf professional, I'm always looking to improve my game.  Along with improving my game, I'm also looking for ways to improve YOUR game.  When I have downtime at the office or even at home, I search the Web feverishly to find new ways of game improvement.
There is one way to improve your scoring without having to take any lessons from a Club professional, and that is practice your short game.  Everyone's game is unique, but most everyone has the same issue: a poor short game.  If you tend to miss 4-5 foot putts on a regular basis, then you're only hurting yourself by not going and practicing those putts regularly.  Once you're comfortable with putts, move to close range wedge shots.
Not everyone hits 18 greens in regulation.  In fact, NO ONE does.  That's why your wedge game is so important.  Practicing and having confidence in your wedges makes a huge difference in your game and immediately can lead to lower scores.
So, put that fancy new driver away, pick up your bag and walk to the short game/putting area and get to work.  And if you're like me, who has a lot of spare time due to weather, practice putting on your carpet at home (or at work if you can get away with it).  Get used to your putting stroke and memorize each movement.  Know exactly where your putter head will strike the ball.  Go online and research lessons.  Go buy a training aid.  Whatever it takes ... improve your short game first!  You'll thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment