Monday, April 11, 2011

Noon Group

I'm under the assumption that most courses that offer golf memberships in the US have a 'Noon Group'. A 'Noon Group' is a group of men between the ages of 29-60 that play somewhat competitive golf Monday through Saturday. Most are retired or are businesses owners that are wealthy and don't have much else to do other than play a round of golf with their pals. The average round usually takes 4+ hours to play. Afterwards most of the Group comes into to the Clubhouse and sits down to have a drink and complain about their wives (or ex-wives).
MC3 has a Noon Group. A very loyal Noon Group, in fact. This Noon Group usually takes up at least 3 tee times on any given weekday, especially on our Wednesday Men's Day. The groups are no smaller than 4-somes and most Nooners refuse to play in 3-somes. I'm not going to get into any sort of betting schemes they have. To tell the truth, I can't follow half the the games I hear them playing.
I've played in the Noon Group on occasion (five or six times a year). As a 0 handicap, it's really tough for me to keep up with the 14 handicapper who plays at about a 9 but insists he's a 16. That's the thing about Noon Groups, they are the only group of men who prefer their handicaps to go up on a weekly basis instead of going down. I've seen a Nooner intentionally lip out a 2-foot putt so he can keep his handicap up.
Every Club needs a 'Noon Group'. Consistency is a big part of a Club, and a 'Noon Group' is about as consistent as you can get. I mean, come on, the name says it all.

Well today is my day off. I won't be playing with the Nooners today, but I do intend to put in a lot of practice into my short game this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment