Wednesday, April 6, 2011

American Idol

Of the whatever-number of seasons American Idol has been on, this is the 2nd season I've ever watched. I understand it's appeal: reality tv, talented youth, attractive people, songs that almost everyone knows, Jennifer Lopez, the list goes on ...
But here's my problem: Why the hell do we have to crown people on how well they cover someone else's music?  American Idol should have their contestants write and perform music that they've created. Stop being lazy piles that use other people's work! Contestants treat the music like it's their own. No, you're covering what an incredibly more talented person did. You are not special. You are a contestant, not an artist, BIG DIFFERENCE.
Music is about creativity, art, ability and individualism. American Idol relies solely on the fact they can use other people's work to make their contestants look like rock stars. And what is really sad is America can't handle all of a 3+ minute song, so Idol cuts down the music to a manageable/measly 2 minutes or less, so viewers don't lose their attention on the song. Come on people, performers should PERFORM entire pieces of music.
I know that the viewership likely wouldn't watch the show if it was full of music they didn't recognize/sing along to, but the 'karaoke' feel is the reason I don't (normally) watch the show. Sorry American Idol, but you just don't do it for me. I'm sure you've got many seasons ahead of you, but I won't be watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment